What Exactly is an Entrepreneur?
The word “entrepreneur” comes from the French “entreprendre“,meaning ‘to undertake‘.
Simply put, entrepreneurs are people who choose to run their own business rather than work as employees. An entrepreneur is someone who creates a business from scratch, with all the risks and rewards it implies.
What an entrepreneur fundamentally does is identify a need and fill it. Entrepreneurs dream and make their dreams come true.
It is my personal conviction that entrepreneurship can not be learned or taught. Entrepreneurship is either an inner quality or something that’s totally foreign to you. Entrepreneurship is not a job or a hobby, it’s a lifestyle and a state of mind.
The Four Motives Of An Entrepreneur
The following aspects make it really hard (if not, impossible) for an entrepreneur to hold down a regular job. From the outside they will often look unstable and uncontrollable, sometimes even weird and solitary… When in reality entrepreneurs just don’t fit into a mold and need to find their place in life.
1) Entrepreneurs greatly value self-reliance because they know themselves and they know what they want.
2) They love challenges and are optimistic (you have to be optimistic to believe in something that’s not even real yet!).
3) They have a vision of their success and it is that vision that keeps them on track.
4) Entrepreneurs always seek to learn and to get better at what they do!
The 10 Inherent Qualities of an Entrepreneur
You will never see a successful entrepreneur who is negative or does not believe in what they do. Those are only two of the many inherent qualities of an entrepreneur.
An entrepreneur is like a bull. He/she rushes to the target at all costs !
1 – BUSINESS FOCUSED : profit-oriented, plans for growth, clear goals, alignment with business tight operations
2 – CONFIDENCE : self-awareness, conviction in ability to succeed, action- oriented, proactive
3 – CREATIVE THINKER : firing off many ideas, curious, quick learner, exploratory, imaginative, alert
4 – DELEGATOR : collaborates, recognizes and draws on people’s abilities, encourages team contribution
5 – DETERMINATION : persistent, eager to act, confronts obstacles, not deterred by roadblocks
6 – INDEPENDENT : resolute, faith in self, multi-tasking, responsible, multiple competencies, ‘can do’
7 – KNOWLEDGE-SEEKER : anticipates and uses knowledge, drives for in-depth information, knowledge as an asset
8 – PROMOTER : communicator, speaks boldly, storyteller, ambassador, persuasive, enthusiastic
9 – RELATIONSHIP-BUILDER : mutually-beneficial links inside and outside workplace, open, socially aware, integrity
10 – RISK-TAKER : optimistic, rational decisions, charismatic, confident, will to win, can deal with complexity
The Challenges Of An Entrepreneur
Being an entrepreneur is not always easy and the lifestyle comes with many challenges. Fortunately, making mistakes and trying again helps you get better. Here are some of the many challenges entrepreneurs are bound to experience during their journey to success :
- Losing sight of customers
- Being over-confident, hasty, over-committed
- Having difficulty working in a team, rushing off in many directions
- Abdicating responsibility, communication gaps
- Sticking with failing strategy, regret with failed steps
- Burning out, having difficulty in growing the team to scale the enterprise
- Generating too many new ideas
- Becoming blind to flaws, lack of objectivity
- Having difficulty with time management, focus, lack of diversity in networks
- Judgement errors
Actions To Be Implemented
Because entrepreneurs face challenges and never give up, they have to adapt and take action. Every action you take as an entrepreneur should serve a purpose that will help you grow and become better at what you do. Here are some actions you can take to maximize your success :
- Use timelines : short/medium/long term. This will help you remember where you’re headed and it will enable you to take small steps.
- Communicate clearly : say what you think, do as you say, explain exactly what you need, think, don’t understand. You will move forward faster and not stagnate.
- Focus on human element : remember you are working for an audience… for real people out there. Not just for search engines or yourself. Put yourself in your readers/customers shoes.
- Read a lot : don’t rest on your laurels, keep learning and adding info that’s accurate, up to date and useful. Reading will open new doors as well and help you get better.
- Plan ahead, prepare for contingencies : goes hand in hand with “using timelines”. You need to build your business step by step
- Get diverse feedback : never think you can do this alone. Always ask people for advice and feedback because they are able to take a step back and give you an honest opinion. You will grow from this
- Avoid the speed trap : take-your-time, your pace will be perfect. Don’t compare yourself to others, do things your own way.
- Balance present and future : it’s not always easy to find the right balance between now and tomorrow. You want to do things today, that will add up tomorrow and create maximum success. You want to keep an eye on your future but also keep your feet to the ground and go one step at a time. It’s trickier than it sounds ^^
- Prioritize : not everything you do is important… make a list and do what’s crucial to your business development. The rest will wait.
- Use simple structure : don’t overcomplicate things… 99% of the time, simple works better =)
- Learn from failures : aaaah failure… my dear friend lol. Love failure because it will lead to success. Understand why you failed and make sure you learned the lesson.
- Share your optimism : yes! be proud ! be happy… celebrate each and every small success! Join a community and share your positive energy because people will give it back and.. well it feels good!
- Partner with creative types : don’t surround yourself with negative people or with people who don’t believe in yourself. You need positive vibes! Get inspiration from others.
- Focus on the big picture : the big picture is your dream, your ultimate goal… focus on it and find ways to get there, step by step.
- Be alert to environment : everything that surrounds you will influence you (in a good way or in a bad way). Be careful with that and always take a step back every now and then. Be aware of what motivates you and of what makes you feel down and discouraged.
- Form alliances : you will need friends, mentors, allies… whatever you want to call them! Find them and keep them.
- Delegate : you are not God, you can’t do everything. =)
- Don’t let love for your product blind you : just because you love something doesn’t mean it’s perfect. Remember you’re writing/working for people. Be as unbiased as possible
- Write and share ideas : do NOT be alone in this.
- Rehearse your story : the more you rehearse it the better you’ll be at it. Act like you’ve already achieved success. Feel the success. Make it happen.
- Use multiple media : this is the 21st century, take advantage of everything you can! Because if you don’t your competitors will. =)
- Surround yourself with positive people : I already said that, but I’ll say it again… positivity is crucial to your success.
- Diversify and renew networks reciprocity : well it speaks for itself.
- Be selective : be demanding. Ask for the best, do your best
- Take gradual risks : don’t be too reckless lol.
Success Is A Choice
People are not successful by accident. They choose to have success, they take action, fall and try again. Repeat. Again. Every little thing they do will add up and take them to their goal(s).
To achieve maximum success there are things an entrepreneur does not fear :
Signs That You Are An Entrepreneur
If you landed here chances are you already know you ARE an entrepreneur lol. But if you still have doubts, there are things entrepreneurs often have in common. If you don’t see yourself in all the below points it doesn’t mean you are not an entrepreneur, but you should at least relate to some of them ! =)
- One or both of your parents have been self-employed. You have been influenced by their creativity and independent personality.
- You dropped out of college/school like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg.
- You believe that your time is worth more than money. You hate wasting your time.
- You surround yourself with positive and quality people. You are really sensitive to negativity and to people who will try to bring you down.
- You’re determined. You have to make the impossible possible. You can focus.
- You are passionate. Almost everything fascinates you. You love to love something and to know everything about it.
- You’re an opportunist : you see opportunities everywhere.
- You’re a charming and charismatic person.
- You have a competitive nature and are willing to lose (even though you prefer winning of course!)
- You’re very opinionated
- You’re always questioning why people do the things they do. You love to understand things and to decorticate everything (almost lol).
- You’re self-confident (most of the time). You know who you are and what you want (and don’t want).
- You’re a people person. You have no problem communicating with others.
- You want to be in control and in command of your own company. You want to be in charge. You have to know what’s going on and what’s next.
- You always know that you can do something better.
- You have tried to keep your 9-5 job but it would really make you depressed. You’d get bored and weary.
- You spend more time with your co-founder/business partner than with your significant other.
- You wake up thinking about your business and go to sleep thinking about it.
- You believe in efficiency and will bend rules to make things smoothly
- You have already worked more than 60 hours a week, even though you weren’t making much (if nothing) money.
- You’re unrealistic : you can dream big.
- You’re a logical thinker with ideas about how to correct problems and the overall situation
- People tend to gravitate toward you because you are likable.
- You know you’re not like most people and your friends see you as unemployable. But you’re fine with that.
- You regularly quote Steve Jobs and admire him.
- You never give up and don’t take no for an answer. If you see an obstacle you are always going to figure out a way around it. Even at the last minute.
- You’ve always had a problem with authority ; which is why you’ve had a problem holding down a job lol…
- You’re unpredictable, adapt fast and don’t mind change.
And finally I would like to share a few quotes with you that I find very inspiring.
“The thing about inventing is that you have to be both stubborn and flexible, more or less simultaneously.” – Jeff Bezos, Amazon
“Do what you are best at and let others take care of the rest.” – Scott Heiferman, Meetup.com
“Don’t assume that you know all the answers. Be prepared to adapt.” – Chad Hurley, YouTube
“I can’t think of anything more fun than connecting people. People make businesses happen. It’s that simple.” – David Bradford
“Face-to-face telling of the right story in the right room at the right time and in the right way can galvanise listeners to action.” – Peter Guber, ex-Sony
If you would like to read more inspiring quotes, check out my post here ! And if you’re looking for a place where you can “hang out” with tons of entrepreneurs, get inspired and learn from them I invite you to join me here, at Wealthy Affiliate, the #1 training platform to build an online business!
Online Entrepreneur Certification – by Kyle
An Invite to Become a Remarquable Entrepreneur – by Kyle
You Want to be an Entrepreneur? Please be afraid to fail – by AriefWibowo
Well, that’s it folks! I’d love to know what your definition of an entrepreneur is! Or to hear your most favorite quote on the subject! Feel free to leave a comment below ; I will be more than happy to connect! =)