Is Swagbucks a legitimate website? Is it a waste of time, or worse, is it an all out scam?
Name : Swagbucks
Website : www.swagbucks.com
Type : rewards, loyalty program
Price : free to join
Owners : Prodege LLC ; Josef Gorowitz, Scott Dudelson, Ron Leshem, Eron Zehavi
Created in : 2008
Restrictions : available in the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, and Australia
Similar websites : clixsense, cashcrate
Overal rating : 70/100
What is Swagbucks?
Simply put, Swagbucks is an online loyalty program powered by Prodege LLC and “Swagbucks” is the name given to the virtual “currency” that the website uses. There are tons of ways to earn Swagbucks including searching, shopping, taking surveys, playing games, and discovering online content, and then to redeem those Swag Bucks for retail gift cards, PayPal cash, or other rewards.
Prodege is a famous provider that brands and incentivized online reward portals and has “Search&Win” partners including The New York Giants, WGN America, World Wresting Entertainment and several other big brands.
In 2011, Swagbucks was ranked #43 on Inc 500 fastest growing company list. Los Angeles Business Journal ranked them as the 3rd fastest growing company in LA.
Here’s a short video that explains how Swagbucks works :
Sign up Process
Signing up for Swagbucks is extremely simple. Click this link, fill out the information or join through Facebook, then confirm your email. You’re ready to start earning Swagbucks right away and it costs nothing to join.
There are various ways to earn on their website :
1 – shop via their website :
Members may use the Shop and Earn feature to shop at a number of popular online e-commerce retailers (Walmart, Target, Apple, Kmart, etc.) and receive a set amount of Swag Bucks per dollar spent, in a “cash-back” format. They pay out swagbucks for every dollar that you spend at any of the stores they offer.
Amazon.com pays out 3 swagbucks per dollar spent. So a $100 purchase at Amazon would yield 300 swagbucks – essentially 3% cashback on your purchase just for clicking their link before going to Amazon.
If this sounds too good to be true, it isn’t. The reason they can do this is because Amazon pays them a commission for people they refer and they are just passing some of that referral fee to us.
2 – search the internet :
Swagbucks hosts a custom search engine like google or yahoo that will periodically reward registered users with random amounts of Swag Bucks. The selection of winners is completely random, and it is emphasized that searching more often will not necessarily increase the odds of winning.
Their search engine is actually powered by Yahoo, so you should be seeing the same results you would see if you used the Yahoo search bar. The earnings per search appear to be random, so you never know exactly how many you earn for each search, but either way the best way to utilize this is to:
- Make it the default search engine in your browser
- Install their browser extension
If you do this, then you won’t have to think about it at all and will be earning all day long as you search the internet.
3 – Take Surveys :
This is probably the quickest way to earn a lot of Swagbucks. It looks like you could earn up to $9/hour doing this. They have a bunch of surveys that pay about 300 swagbucks and take about 20 minutes. If you can complete them in less than 20 minutes you may be doing even better.
Generally, surveys take longer to complete than other activities, and consequently the payouts are larger on average.
4 – Watch Videos :
Swagbucks TV- Members can discover and watch videos selected by the user, in a similar fashion to YouTube.
They have these main categories for you to watch:
- Home & Garden
- Pets & Travel
As much as some folks dream of watching TV for a living, that probably won’t happen with this as they limit you to earning only 150 per day.
5 – Play Games :
Members may play online casual games to earn Swag Bucks. Don’t expect too much from it though ! it won’t turn you a millionaire =)
6 – Print Grocery Store Coupons :
This one is kind of a double-whammy, not only do you get coupons to save you more money on groceries, but you also earn swagbucks for using each one. Not a bad deal. 10 for each coupon used, so that is essentially like an extra 10 cents off each coupon.
7 – Referral Program :
A current user can invite another person to use Swagbucks. If the other person signs up as a new Swagbucks user using the current user’s referral link, the current user will earn a referral fee equal to a percentage of the Swag Bucks earned over time by the new user.
But, your reward depends on the people you refer and they must use the service like a regular user. Actually, your referral reward points are directly proportional to the regular involvement of each person you have referred.
Other ways to earn money …
- Special Offers – Members may earn Swag Bucks by completing various offers made by third-party companies via the SwagBucks website or mobile app
- Swag Codes – Special text codes can be periodically found on the Swag Bucks network and can be entered into a special Swag Codes box in the menu bar to earn Swag Bucks. These can appear and expire anytime.
- Daily Goals – A meter on the home page shows an amount of Swag Bucks that is the user’s goal for that day. If the goal is reached, bonus Swag Bucks will be awarded at the start of the next month. These bonuses accumulate, and meeting the goal for many days in a row will earn additional bonuses.
- Hourly Random Winner – Users that are logged in to the site can check the SwagBucks blog every hour. If their username and avatar is displayed in the “Hourly Winner” section, the user can click “Claim Your Swagbucks” and may earn 1,000 Swag Bucks. The hourly random winner is now seen in the blog.
You can redeem your points for a gift card, but there are other ways to also redeem your SwagBucks points. Choices include : gift cards to choose from a wide range of retailers (Amazon, Target, Lands End, Chili’s, Starbucks, and many more.)
- Paypal (cash) : Get your points redeemed for cash via PayPal
- Sweepstakes entries : Spend your Swag Bucks on entries to win electronics & gift cards at the Swag Stakes section
- Donate your SB points to a charity : You can donate your accumulated SB points to charity
Pros & Cons
- It’s 100% free to join
- It offers a huge variety of prizes
- It has a simple interface and offers simplified tasks and surveys
- It’s a legit, paying company
- It offers many options for making money
- It has a variety of payouts, including Paypal and Amazon
- It is available to teenagers
- It has a mobile app
- Gives high bonuses
- The search engine is not as good as Google
- The Swagbuck account stockpiles slowly
- Its only available in a few countries.
- With the variety of options, it is possible to get lost in activities that don’t pay well.
Is It Legit?
There will always be people labeling Swagbucks as a scam… most of the time simply because they were misled and expected too much from it. But I just wanted to assure you that Swagbucks is not a scam at all, it’s 100% legit… the only thing you should know before joining it is that it won’t turn you into a millionaire ! =) Once you know that, you’ll probably love swagbucks, for what it is : an easy way to earn extra cash!
Here are some of the reasons why I think Swagbucks is legit :
- it’s 100% free to join : you have nothing to lose joining
- the company has bee out there for years
- they have a A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- they have over 2,1580,000 Facebook fans
- they do pay, each and every time
I think someone looking for some extra cash will love Swagbucks. We don’t all have the time or energy to build an online business (such a building a website for instance), some people like the quick and “easy” ways to earn money online and Swagbucks definitely fits in that category.
Again, remember, you won’t make a living using Swagbucks but you’ll earn extra cash. =)
It’s definitely not a scam and worth giving a shot.
My #1 Recommendation
As an affiliate marketer, I have my favorites =). Swagbucks is definitely legit and worth checking out but if you’re looking for something that will enable you to build an online business based on a passion, I highly recommend joining Wealthy Affiliate. Wealthy Affiliate is an online community of enterpreneurs and training platform that will teach you everything you need to learn about online business. They are the reason I was able to build this website (and a few others) and earn money from home.
You can try it for free and have instant access to a 10 lesson course and build 2 websites for free. I will also be very happy to welcome you to the community and work with you!
Click here if you want to build your own online business ! Also, feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions about Swagbucks or Wealthy Affiliate (you can read my full review here) ; I will be more than happy to connect!