A niche is a distinct segment of a market, in other words a group of people, an audience. You are my audience at the moment =) and my niche is “affiliate marketing” or “earning money online”.
Now a niche website can focus on absolutely anything you can think of! I’ve seen websites selling only one type of gardening tool… =) Are they earning money? Yes. How so? Because they target a specific audience and provide them with answers, solutions, tips, reviews… Of course a website selling a type of gardening tool is a very narrow website and someone who owns such a website most probably owns several other narrow targeted websites. You can build niche websites that are less narrow, which will in time become authority websites.
Typically a narrow niche will make sales faster but might not generate as much money as an authority website, which on the other hand will take longer to become successful. It depends on what you want to do with your online business 😉
Niche blogging is the act of creating a blog with the intent of using it to market to a particular niche market. (source : wikipedia)
The Advantages of Niche Websites
- Simplicity : these days, building a website is cheap (it can be done for free actually) and easy ! Click here to build a beautiful website for free in under 30 seconds !
- Diversity : you can earn money online from absolutely anything! There’s room for everyone (with 2,000,000,000 people searching the web everyday… )
- Opportunity : a website is like a piece of real estate. It’s a real business that will generate a passive income for the years to come, if you work at it obviously 😉
- Passion : because you will build a website based on a passion or an interest/hobby, it will be easier for you to create content. Working on something you love will be fun and rewarding and you’ll build an audience of people who are interested in the same things.
- Income : there are tons of ways for you to monetize your website(s) and it doesn’t require you to massively recruit people, as opposed to MLM for instance. You can sell anything, even products that compete with each other.
- Freedom : as long as you have access to the internet you can work from anywhere you want
The Downsides of Niche Websites
- it does require time and efforts. A niche website is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It’s a real business that will involve investment (whether time or money eventually, as you get bigger ^^)
How to Build a Niche Website
Like I said above building a website is easy nowadays. You don’t have to have prerequisite knowledge. There are tons of free tools available to you that will help you have a website up and running in just a few seconds (yes seconds! want to try? click here if you want to give it a try). I’ve created a video tutorial on how to build a website for free here : https://youtu.be/LTmxaCSz6I0
Here are the simple steps to building your very own website :
- think of something you love or are interested in (training your dog, yoga, thaï food, diy, fashion… anything!)
- choose a domain name
- go to siterubix and build a free website
- learn the basics at wealthy affiliate
- start adding your first content
- go on with writing content
- get feedback among the Wealthy Affiliate community (and me!)
- learn how to monetize your website
- start earning money =)
The Importance of Keywords
Bloggers and affiliate marketers search for keywords because they want to know how many times a keyword is searched per month and if they would rank their blog/website on the first page of Google for that specific keyword.
A keyword is simply a word or set of words that people type in the search bar on google/yahoo/bing because they’re looking for something (a product, a tutorial, a review… you name it!). Some keywords are more searched than others and some have more (or less) competition. You will learn to write your content based on keywords and get good ranking on search engines as a result. The better ranked, the higher your traffic! =)
There are tons of keyword research tools out there but most of them use outdated data that will not help your business at all… My #1 recommendation is Jaaxy. You can subscribe for free and get 30 searches. You can also get a keyword research tool as a premium member on Wealthy Affiliate. These two have enabled me to get many of my posts on the first page of google, or first few pages… which is how you might have found me ! =)
Because you decided to build a niche website you are going to write about something in particular, something narrow enough to target an audience. You don’t want to build a website that focuses on several things that have nothing in common =). Why? Simply because you would get poor ranking on search engines (if no ranking at all!). If google/yahoo/bing don’t understand what your website is mainly about, they won’t consider it a useful and relevant website.
So here is my advice on how you should write content for your website, no matter what your niche is :
- Pick a subject that interests you
- Remember who you’re writing to
- Do your research
- Be unique & honest
- Write useful/helpful, relevant & interesting content
- Make it an easy & pleasant experience for your audience
- Accept feedback & advice
Click here to read full article on “how to write content – 7 tips”
How to Monetize your Niche Website
The ultimate purpose of you website is to earn money from it, right? To do so you will learn to use different tools and techniques :
- advertising (google adsense for instance)
- PPC (another type of advertising)
- affiliate marketing (the most common way to earn money online)
- selling your services (depending on your niche)
If you are interested in becoming an affiliate marketer and building your own website, feel free to contact me directly at email@example.com or to leave a comment below. I will be more than happy to connect. You can also simply join Wealthy Affiliate and meet me there, I will be glad to help you get started!
Thanks for dropping by!