What Is The Law Of Attraction?
The law of attraction is “the name given to the maxim “like attracts like”which in New Thought philosophy is used to sum up the idea that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life.” (source : wikipedia). You can also learn more about the law of attraction here on Amazon !
So simply put the law of attraction is the ability to see the positive in any given situation, even in the most frustrating or sad ones. Often easier said than done, I know! The law of attraction is a big term with no scientific basis to say that if you want positive things to happen to you, you gotta think positive! And it’s got nothing to do (in my opinion) with magic or luck… it’s just logic.
- If you are negative, how can you enjoy the moment?
- If you are complaining all the time, how can you attract positive people?
- If you don’t do any good to yourself (and to others), how do you expect people (and life) to treat you good in return?
I always like taking the example of the rain. Imagine asking 100 people how they feel about the rain. You are very unlikely to get 100 identical answers. Some will say “uh ! I hate the rain, it makes me depressed“. But others might say : ” Oh I love the rain, it’s so romantic” (yes yes, I know some people who could say that) or “I’m happy it will water my plants” or “I like the sound of the rain, it calms me” or “ it’s going to clean up my car“, or “great I’m finally going to be able to use that umbrella I bought the other day” or whatever… See?
You can always CHOOSE to see things in a positive way. And when you do, guess what happens? Life feels much easier and much more fun! =) Now don’t get me wrong, there’s also a time for grieving. But even when in tears, remember there’s always a silver lining.
What Is A Vision Board?
A vision board is a a board (any type) on which you display images that represent who you want to be and what you want to have in your life. It’s a collage of pictures, images, drawings, positive affirmations and quotes that you personally and thoroughly select.
Now, it’s more than just visuals. It’s a unique collection of your goals, dreams and things that make you happy. You can use it as a tool to identify, clarify and maintain focus on a specific life goal. A vision board can look something like this (see below pictures) and will differ from person to person because we don’t all have the same definition of happiness, freedom and wellness =)
How Can It Help You Achieve Your Goals?
Now what does a vision board have to do with the law of attraction?
Creating a vision board can be a useful tool to help you conceptualize your goals and can serve as a source of motivation as you work towards achieving your dreams. It’s one thing to think about your dreams and goals… but it’s another to actually take the time to make a vision board. Because making a vision board means externalizing your thoughts. It means doing something. You are going to have to think and look deep into yourself first… and then do some research to find images and positive affirmations that represent these goals and dreams… Then you are going to have to find the proper board and print images or draw… all in all it takes time and energy and that means you’ve already made a step towards this new life you want so bad! =)
A vision board will enable you to LOOK at your goals and not just think about them and talk about them. Seeing them, in details, especially with detailed steps can make a huge difference. So simply put a vision board will :
– identify your goals and provide clarity
– reinforce your daily positive affirmations
– keep you focused towards your goals
Build A Vision Board Step By Step
Building a vision board doesn’t have to be hard or expensive. =) You can start with whatever you have. If you don’t have a printer you can draw or go to a cyber cafe or ask a friend to print things for you. If you don’t have a board you can simply use a large piece of paper.
There are even applications to build a vision board and online softwares, although I prefer the old-fashioned way =). In my opinion it makes things more real!
Reflect upon your goals, look into yourself and identify your needs and dreams
This step will give you an idea of the final picture, of your ultimate goal(s). During this process you are going to spend some time analyzing what things need to change in your life, what things you need or want to get rid off. To complete this step I like to imagine I have a magic wand that enables me to accomplish all my dreams before I go to sleep. And when I wake up next morning, my life is finally the way I want it. If you could use such a magic wand, what would your life be like when all desired changes have been completed? The answer to this question is your big picture, your ultimate goal. It doesn’t mean it’ll be perfect (nothing is) or that your goals won’t change, but it’ll give you something to work off. Here are some of people most common life goals :
Determine your why(s) and how
This next step is going to be about looking closer at your goals and dreams and determining why you want them and how you are going to achieve them. This means you are going to create small and achievable steps towards these goals. You can’t just go from unhappy to happy, you have to be kind to yourself and go step by step. The easiest way to create steps is to simply think of the smallest things you feel capable of doing. This will enable you to achieve new things everyday and this will encourage you. If you set unachievable and overwhelming goals, you are very likely to feel discouraged and to fail.
Choose the type of board you want to make
Depending on step 1 and step 2 you might want to create a “one goal focused” board or several boards. It is entirely up to you and you should do what you feel best about. Trust your instincts ! =)
Create your vision board
Now here’s the fun part =). You’ll most probably need the following :
- A board : you can use a simple piece of paper where you’ll glue images and quotes or you can use a magnet board. There are also pin boards or anything pretty that you like to look at
- Scissors, tape, pins, and/or a glue-stick to put your board together
- If you want, fun markers, stickers, or anything else you can think of to deck out your board
- Magazines that you can cut images and quotes from.
- Most importantly, add the things you want to look at every day. Photos, quotes, sayings, images of places you want to go, reminders of events, places, or people, postcards from friends and just about anything that will inspire you
- Time. Give yourself a stress-free hour or two to put your board together. If you’re a social butterfly, invite you friends over and make a party out of it.
I found a vision board kit on amazon, along with other tips and products. You can check them out here if you like!
How To Use A Vision Board
Finally here are some tips :
– Look at your vision board often and feel the inspiration it provides
– Hold it in your hands and really internalize the future it represents
– Read your affirmations and inspirational words aloud
– See yourself living in that manner
– Feel yourself in the future you have designed
– Believe it is already yours
– Be grateful for the good that is already present in your life
– Acknowledge any goals you have already achieved
– Acknowledge the changes you have seen and felt
– Acknowledge the Law of Attraction at work in your life
– Look at it just before going to bed and first thing upon rising
If you want to suggest more ways to use a vision board, feel free to leave a comment below, I’ll be happy to add yours to the list!
You Might Also Like
- Goals On Track
Supports iPhone and Android devices.
- Strength On Demand
Video presentations from top strength and conditioning professionals.