There are those who are happy with their job at the office and those – like me – who need to be their own boss and work from various places. In the Internet era, the opportunity to earn money from home is becoming more & more alluring, but the web also contains an incredible amount of scams that you should be wary of.
Among the many opportunities to make money online that I have tried, there is one that, in my opinion, is the least risky, most rewarding and most reliable one : creating a niche website! How and why? If you want to find out, keep reading! =)
1) Know What A Niche Website Is
Basically a niche website is a website whose specific content meets several criteria : relevance, interest and usefulness. For whom? For its visitors of course ! =)
A niche website can be about absolutely anything and the more narrow the subject is, the more likely it is to target the right audience. Thus you will find websites on “how to train your dog” or “everything wordpress” or “how to live with OCD disorder” …
Someone will decide to create a niche website because they have a passion or something they are interested in and want to talk about! It’s like having a store, but online! And your articles are your commodity! A niche website should reflect your personality, your passion and answer people’s specific questions/problems.
2) Build A Website For Free
These days it is easy to create a website! No need to be a coding expert or to have completed a degree in web design ! I’ll take my own example : I studied languages and law in college and never wanted to venture into the creation of a website, HTML language or such “gibberish”.
But I still always thought it would be really awesome to have my own website. So when the urge became too strong to resist, I just searched the net and found a free and easy way to create a website in just a few seconds! =)
Just give it a shot, you’ll see you can have a website in under 30 seconds! It really is a piece of cake :
1) choose a name for your site. If you don’t know what your website should be about, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org I will help you pick a niche.
2) choose a theme (that will fit your niche/passion/interest/experience)
Here are, as examples, two screen shots of my other websites, that I created for free and without any prior knowledge! =)
3) Write Content
Okay now, creating a website is all well and good (it’s easy and free) but if it has no content, what’s the point? Your work will eventually be to create content for your visitors! =) It will be a bit like having a conversation online with lots of people! It’s that simple.
Often, people tend to panic at the thought of writing an article, when in reality it is a relatively simple process. No need to try and write a perfect over complicated essay. The more simple and sincere you are in your writing, the more people will love reading you. Of course, you should not neglect the quality of your content. It must be relevant, interesting and useful.
Here are the 4 steps to writing content :
- Choose a topic for your article
- Write a draft, with no attempt of being perfect : choose a catchy title, write down headlines to cut the article into several coherent paragraphs and come up with a nice conclusion
- You can enrich your article by doing some research on google or elsewhere, without EVER copying. Plagiarism is really ugly and anyway, if you copy/paste someone else’s content, Google will know and will punish you! Which seems logical, right?
- Add visuals. People do not like to read too much text without seeing any beautiful colored pictures that are relevant to the content !
4) Monetize Your Website
What’s interesting about a website – beyond the fact that you get to express yourself through it – is that you can earn a living with it! To do this, the #1 technique used by online bloggers is affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is a very simple process which consists in promoting products through unique affiliate links provided to you by a company.
For example, if you create a makeup tutorials website, you can sign up to tons of affiliate programs for brands such as Sephora, Clarins and more. As an affiliate, you have the right to use links that, when your visitors click on to buy a product, earn you a percentage of the sale.
To learn more about affiliate marketing, I refer you to an article I wrote on the subject! Click here to read it. Of course, sales imply traffic. You will not earn a lot if you do not have enough visitors on your site.
Before you get visitors you will have to arm yourself with a little bit of patience. You will also want to learn to use the right tools to generate enough traffic and make google / yahoo / bing love you! =)
5) Set Goals, Educate Yourself & Get Support In The Process
But then, what do you do once you’ve built your website and began writing content?
Contrary to what many people want us to believe online, making money from home is neither quick nor easy. You will need to show patience and determination in order to succeed and build yourself an “empire”.
Before I built this website I was struggling to make money online, not doing the right things, trusting the “wrong people”, investing in scams. I could hardly make a living.
So I gave up. Then I thought about the fact that I could really not have a job at the office for the rest of my life, so I rolled up my sleeves and finally found what I was looking for ! I came across an online community of entrepreneurs, without which I would not be where I am today. Wealthy Affiliate.
When it comes to building an online business, I know for a fact that you are going to need more than just a website and a few articles. You’re going to need support – a lot of support – and education. Wealthy Affiliate is a platform where you can learn to build your website properly and get advice 24/7.
You can also take courses and use cutting edge tools to boost your business. Signing up is free, you can check it out and see for yourself! =) If you can combine your passion and goals with Wealthy Affiliate, there’s no way you can fail! Click here to learn more about Wealthy Affiliate!
– Creating a niche website requires one basic element : a topic (a passion, an interest or experience) that you want to share with others.
– Then it is clearly very easy to build a free website these days (see above, with siterubix) and have a nice website online in just a few seconds. What’s stopping you? Content? Please!
– When it comes to making money with a website, you will want to write interesting, relevant & useful content for your readers because this will increase traffic and therefore generate more and more money. Writing content is like talking to a friend, really. No more no less. Don’t over complicate it! =)
– Finally, the best way to succeed in this branch is to get help and advice from people who have already been there. I have never found a place more stimulating and inspiring than Wealthy Affiliate.
If you are serious about building your home-made business, this is where you want to be, trust me! =)
I hope to see you there soon ; I would love to support you in fulfilling your dreams! Thank you for dropping by !