Can You Get Rich Quickly?
A lot of people ask me how long it takes to make money blogging. Honestly the question also crossed my mind a few years ago but I never dared ask someone directly lol… Instead, I started looking around… see if I could find a recurring answer.
I guess when you step out of a 9-5 job you want to get reassured and to know what you are stepping into lol. You look for figures, data, testimonies, proofs, success stories … so you can get started and plan your success. You want it to be quick ; you hope it’ll be quick.
Every Business is Unique
Now, as an affiliate marketer, there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years : in the Online World, nothing is fixed, nothing is certain. I could also experience that something that worked out for this guy might not work out for you. And vice versa. You have to do a lot of testing before you find the perfect formula…
Online success depends on too many factors… =) Of course, people who experience success have several things in common, but while some might take only six months to make a living, others could take up to 3 years! And it’s fine as long as they do succeed, right?
If you could earn $10,000/month in three years from now, would it be worth it? =)
Is There An Answer To The Question Then?
At the risk of disappointing some of you, I’ll tell you what I think and what I’ve seen here and there during my encounters and readings online. It is NOT possible to determine the time it will take a person to make money with a blog. There I said it. I just can’t lie to you, because what good would it do? You’d end up mad at me, mad at yourself and you’d quit before things got even real.
But I can try and round up to an average, by cross-checking the stories of a large number of people (including mine) to tell you this : building an online business that is stable and profitable takes an average of one, one and a half, to three years, depending on people. It can take less of course, but from what I’ve seen and experienced, I’d say that one year is reasonable.
Disappointing? You will be disappointed if you have been lured into thinking that you can “earn $18,990 in one month, without selling or recruiting…”. You will be disappointed if you have been told by so called business owners that “earning money online is quick and easy, all you have to do is recruit 2 people”. Sorry, that is a lie and these people are insulting your intelligence.
There’s no such thing as getting rich quickly and easily. Success takes time and efforts and unless you are involved in a scam, overnight riches is not happening for you.
The Road To Success is Bumpy
Before I began to enjoy some success online, I experienced quite a few failures lol. Where did these failures come from? From my stubbornness to follow the wrong people, to invest in scams and to believe that making money online was quick and easy. At one point, I was so tired of failing repeatedly that I thought I did not have what it took and that I would just give up the idea of being financially independent with an online business. But luckily, I came across a website that changed everything! It thaught me how to earn money online, provided me with tools, training and an entire community of like-minded people whom I could rely on 24/7 for help, advice and feedback. They put me back on track and I stopped wasting my time doing the wrong things.
Since then, I’ve accomplished all kinds of success : setting my non-financial and financial goals, REALLY understanding how to generate money online, building my first website and then a few more, earning my first commissions, creating a business network, gaining self-confidence, ranking on google, earning authority within search engines, making more commissions, learning (SEO, keywords, PPC, writing content, what a widget is, what a plugin is, how to use social networks, how to make money with adsense, how to make advertisements for your business …).
So to me the key to success is pretty much the same for everyone, it is like a recipe that must be followed to the letter. Do not try to change the ingredients, just be patient and sooner or later the “magic” will occur =). Now just because successful people are using the same “recipe” doesn’t mean they are clones of each other. What makes someone succeed is also their unique personality. Never forget who you are or try to be someone else.
The Ingredients In The Recipe
It may take more or less time depending on the person but the ingredients to success are the same :
- A dose of PATIENCE : Do not listen to those telling you that making money online is quick and easy. And do not listen to those telling you that you are not making progress fast enough and that you’re heading the wrong way or wasting your time. Just listen to your guts and keep your eyes on the finish line, at all time.
- A tablespoon of DETERMINATION : you will have ups but you will also have downs, moments of frustration. You will not always come to do what you wanted to do and that will piss you off. You will not always get the results you were expecting and it will demoralize you. But do not give up. Repeat, ask for help, if needed or otherwise just repeat what you’d been doing… until bam! it works. Because that’s exactly how it works.
- A pinch of CURIOSITY : do not rest on your laurels. In the Internet world, nothing is fixed, everything keeps changing. So be prepared to be curious and always willing to learn. The more you learn, the more you will progress and the quicker you will spot your mistakes. The sooner you can fix them and the sooner you will get better at what you do. Be curious about what others do (even your competitors) and not just focused on what you are doing yourself. Perspective is what will allow you to see more clearly and to better adjust your trajectory.
- A touch of HUMILITY : put aside your pride. You’ll fall more than once, people might criticize you more than you want it. You will not always be complimented. You will not always receive encouragement or thank yous. And it does not matter, do not make it personal. From the beginning, agree to ask for help because you can not succeed alone. From the beginning agree to use a critical eye, as you can not be the only judge. If you wait too long before asking for feedback on your work, chances are the amount of work will be much too overwhelming and will discourage you. Chances are the mistakes you didn’t see and got accustomed to will be hard to fix. Be humble, you will progress more smoothly despite the constructive critics.
- Sprinkle with REACTIVITY : as soon as you think about something, write it down. When you learn something new, put it into action. When you are given an opinion, advice, reflect on it and put it into action, note it somewhere. Do not wait, do not procrastinate. Your success will be built every day, by a multitude of small actions that once added up, are of paramount importance.
- Season with QUESTIONING : I do not recommend you to be too focused on what you do, to the point of forgetting to step back and question yourself. How will you know you’re building a sound business if you’re not taking a step back and questioning everything single thing you did. Take the time to regularly ask yourself the following questions :
1) What have I done lately? If nothing, get back to work!
2) What can I do to improve what I have already done? Ask for feedback, share your work, look at what others do
3) How would others react to my work? Share, ask for feedback, run tests, look for criticism
4) What are my future goals and how can I reach them? Write them down, set a timeline, create small, achievable steps
Overnight Success Takes Years =)
Among all the people who give the online world a shot, the majority of them will fail and only a handful will actually manage to make a full-time income. This reality does not mean there isn’t enough room for all of these people, but simply that people who do not succeed are just those who quit along the way ; because they were expecting something easier. Because they were expecting something quicker. But only those who give up will not succeed, I am convinced of it. For your efforts, your determination, your patience and your will to always learn can only lead to success.
Below is the voice of amazing and successful people I admire and without whom I most certainly would not be where I am today. They give their own answer to the question : “how long does it take to make money blogging?”
Building a successful affiliate marketing business is just like planting seed potatoes.
It’s no good just putting up a three page website today and expecting everyone to come rushing over to buy your products or click on your ads tomorrow.
You have to let your affiliate marketing business grow slowly over time by regularly adding fresh and unique content to your website and you have to be patient and allow your website to grow naturally.
There is a time for all things.
Prepare your life’s soil well, plant your dreams carefully, nurture them every day with a good helping of dedication, and then give them time to grow into your reality.
It will happen, but it won’t happen overnight! 🙂
What does it really matter how long it took myself or any other successful online business owner to succeed? None of us are clones of each other. There are always variations on how we process what we learn and more importantly how we apply it. So even if I told you it took me a week to become successful, it doesn’t mean you will. Oh, but I want to have an idea or range to strive for?
The question of how long it takes to earn money online and how much you can make comes up A LOT. Standard answers are “it takes time” and “you earn according to hard you work”. These are true, but for some, they are not satisfying answers.(…) If you made $0 online for the next 10 years, but then at the end of the decade finally started making enough money to run a business from your computer would it be worth it? (…) Now, I’m not saying it’s going to take 10 years to actually reach your goals! That’s just an extreme example to make the point that quitting early is selling yourself short. I think most “success” stories working from home generally see pretty good results in the first couple years, if not quicker. Some people even start generating $1,000’s within the first few months. (…) Affiliate businesses make money, and will continue to do so. You just have to figure out if you are willing to dedicate enough time and energy to get a piece of the action for yourself.
- DomW from http://www.humanproofdesigns.com
With a business…3 years to get from $0 to anything sounds pretty slow, but that doesn’t make it any less attractive, at least not to me. Last month (July) I passed $10,000 for the month for the first time ever. I’m roughly on course to repeat that feat again in August, so I can at least feel like it’s stable. Some people might look at that and think “Wow, I want $10,000 a month!” but may be put off by the fact it took three years. Others will think it’s fine, afterall, three years is nothing in exchange for financial freedom. What if I told you that this time last year I was barely making $2,000 a month? In fact, it took me over 1.5 years to make $1,000 a month.
Kyle from http://www.wealthyaffiliate.com & http://www.jaaxy.com
…will I be successful online and when? OR If I work at this, how long will it take me to achieve success? These are some very common questions I get, so I thought I would spend a few minutes explaining what the “process” of success looks like and some expectations you can have. There are some really obvious things I have learned over the years in terms of those who will achieve success and those that don’t. The only time I see someone fail within the online world is when they quit…prematurely of their success. As we are building a business, sometimes we hit a crossroad or a difficult time when something doesn’t make sense, something “breaks”, or something simply is confusing the heck out of us. The easiest way out is to quit. The more difficult way is to push on. Guess which option MOST people choose? Quitting. Guess who ends up reaping all of the rewards of a successful business? The Pushers. So be patient, give success time and realize that it is not going to happen overnight.
You Are Smart !
You are a few steps away from building a business that, in a few months/years from now will be thriving and growing. The question is, how bad do you want it?
If you would like to get support, training and website hosting all in one place, simply click here. If you have any question about what it takes to succeed online, feel free to leave a comment below ; I will be more than happy to connect! =)