Create A Website? : Easy Peasy!
Wouldn’t it be nice if you were the owner of a beautiful website/blog?
How about earning money online simply by writing about something (or several things! =), there’s no limitation to your ambition! ) that you love? What if I told you that it IS possible to turn a passion into a successful online business?
Don’t you just want to brag about your own brand or personal piece of virtual real estate? (yes that’s what a website is!) Imagine seeing your blog on page one of Google/Yahoo/Bing and getting messages like “you have a new customer/affiliate/fan/sale” in your mail box on a daily basis! =)
But you’re probably thinking building a website is for geeks and nerds and that you wouldn’t even know where to start! =) Don’t worry, I was there too until I finally decided to jump into the blogging world!
Taking this leap of faith has enabled me to work from home and write about what I love. Not only does my business feel more like a passion and hobby than an actual job but I get to help and meet people everyday. It’s amazing. And almost stress free 😉 (hey nothing’s perfect!)
Wealthy Affiliate : Heaven Online =)
What you need to know is that today, building and running a website/blog is not as hard as one might imagine. If you have been thinking about building a website/blog for a while but you’re afraid you’re not experienced enough… mark my words, you couldn’t be more wrong! I used to think that building my own website from scratch would be too complicated and overwhelming.
I admired people who owned a website and just thought to myself : “this isn’t for me”. But then I came across an amazing online community and training platform (Wealthy Affiliate) that gave me everything I needed and still continues to teach me a lot every day. The steps to success are pretty simple, all you need to do is follow them by the letter and never give up. But let’s get down to business and create your own beautiful place online where you will freely express yourself! =)
The Steps to a Successful Blog or Website
1. Find Your Niche (basically, what are you interested in?)
At the same time, you want to make sure your blog isn’t so specific that there aren’t enough people looking for that particular information or you run out of things to write about.
Focus your blog on a unique angle (for example, fitness for pregnant women), and make sure your subject is one that you’re both passionate about and feel you could write tons of posts on. Are you not sure what your blog’s main subject should be? Think about it this way : what are your hobbies? What topics do you like to talk about and debate with others, and what subjects do you love reading and researching?
Once you’ve decided on your blog’s theme, stick to it. Consistency is the key to getting the audience you’ve already attracted to keep coming back for your great content
2. Add content regularly
Speaking of great content, what makes posts popular and more likely to be shared? Generally speaking, great posts : answer a question, solve a problem, make readers laugh, or make them cry (in a good way). Also, no matter how long or short a post is, format it so readers can quickly scan the content by using :
- bulleted or numbered lists
- block quotes or captions
- line breaks
- bold fonts
- and other formatting to break up large blocks of text (nobody likes that!)
If you can build a habit of writing every day, awesome. Quite simply, the more useful content you have out there, the better your chances of readers finding your blog.
Even if you can’t write every day, aim to post often and regularly so readers will keep coming back for more and you can build a loyal audience base.
There’s no perfect blogging schedule for everyone, but to get to the point where you’re posting regularly without pushing it, focus on what you enjoy writing about and carve out time to work on it.
Know also that it can take quite a bit of time to grow your blog, and you’ll need to keep at it, especially if you plan to make money by blogging. So don’t get disheartened if you don’t see quick results. Persist. Work hard.
3. Write Catchy, Head-Turning Headlines
Headline writing is an art unto itself, and it’s one of the biggest drivers of a post’s popularity and success.
Attention-grabbing headlines can make or break your post.
One huge example is how Forbes repackaged a New York Times article titled “How Companies Learn Your Secrets” to “How Target Figured Out a Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did” and got all the traffic: 680,000 page views versus the original article’s 12,902.
Headlines, subheads and bullets should :
– Be USEFUL to the reader
– Provide him with a sense of URGENCY
– Convey the idea that the main benefit is somehow UNIQUE
– Do all of the above in an ULTRA-SPECIFIC way
Just make sure if your headline promises a lot, the post itself fulfills that promise.
4. Join In On the Blogging Community
No blog is an island. Now that you have a blog, you’re part of the blogging community, and reciprocation plays a large part of that. A few things you can do to connect with other bloggers (and probably get reciprocal traffic):
- Link generously. It’s not only good form to cite your sources, but links in your posts make your posts more search engine friendly
- Leave comments and trackbacks on fellow blogs. Leaving a trackback posts a comment on the other blog noting that you’ve linked to that post. It has a dual effect of virtually tapping the fellow blogger on the shoulder and also putting your blog link in front of more readers
- Update your blogroll. The list of “blogs you like” in the blogroll help other bloggers notice you. (And if you get listed on other blogs, more readers noticing yours.)
- Try to turn random readers into loyal ones as well. Engage with commenters on your blog, set up an email newsletter, and encourage feedback.
- Invite others to guest post or even ask readers to contribute to your blog. You can double your promotion power this way.
- See if you can guest post or contribute to other, larger blogs.
My #1 recommendation is Wealthy Affiliate. You’ll meet tons of awesome entrepreneurs there, like-minded people who will always be willing to offer help and feedback.
5. Learn From Your Existing Audience
Perhaps the most important thing to do is know your audience and make sure your content continues to interest them.
If you install Google Analytics on your blog (or use another analytics program), you can see which topics your audience particularly likes, where your readers are coming from, and lots more. Once you know that, you can create more content to attract similar people and also keep your audience coming back.
Also, social media can be a really powerful tool for getting more readers. In addition to adding the share buttons on your site, share your links on Facebook, Google+, and Twitter—in as non-sleazy, non-spammy way possible.
6. Make Google Love You
You may have heard the term SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, before. It basically means writing your blog in a way that makes it more likely to show up in search results, and while it seems like an annoying buzzword, it can be a big help. But you don’t need to go crazy.
Frankly, the rules are changing all the time, and it’s probably not worth your time chasing them or changing your content every time Google does an algorithm change that affects search engine rankings.
- Use unique, accurate, and brief page titles
- Use the “description” meta tag
- Make sure your site is easy to navigate
- Use words for your URLs and avoid very long URLs
- Write good anchor text. (E.g., “Read my SEO report” instead of “Click here”)
- Use headings to mark important sections
- Add an “alt” description to images
7. Write In An Honest & Simple Way. Be Yourself!
There are millions of blogs on the web today, so it isn’t easy to stand out. However, if you notice, the top or most popular bloggers have large readerships because of their unique voices and perspectives and the interesting things they share. While you’re crafting your posts, don’t be afraid to let your personality show through so you can really connect to your readers. After all, in the end it’s all about the reader.
There’s much more to learn about making your blog more successful, but hopefully the basics above will get you started. For further reading, consider these sources of excellent blogging and content marketing information:
- WealthyAffiliate : online training platform that will teach you everything you need to know about online business. There’s a very active community of bloggers, tools, advice, online support and help. It’s FREE to join
- ProBlogger : Lots of advice for making a living as a blogger
- About.com Blogging : Comprehensive information for starting, growing, and monetizing a blog
- CopyBlogger : Advice for creating killer online content
- DailyBlog Tips : Quick, practical tips for becoming a better blogger
- Blog Tips For Beginners
- Blogging Tips For Newbies
- Strategies For Blogging Success
- 25 Tips To Market Your Blog
I hope this article was helpful and I wish you all the best with your business! Feel free to leave a comment below if you want to share your experience with online business or if you have any question ; I will be more than happy to connect!