If you landed on this page I suppose you are already familiar with the notion of “keywords” and more particularly keywords that rank ! A good keyword is like a gold bar … =)
But just in case, let’s take a quick look at what they are again, why they are so important to your existing or future business and how you can find the best keywords for your website/blog! There’s no point having a website and writing great content if no one is every going to read it, right?
So What Are Keywords?
A keyword is :
- a word that acts as the key to a cipher or code
- a word or concept of great significance
The textbook definition of keyword is a “term that encapsulates the essence of your text.” Keywords are strategically selected by optimizers and are intended to help your web content communicate in a way that resonates with humans and Google search spiders.
Why Are Keywords So Important?
- Keywords are the foundation of your website content. The topic of every page and what it is about should tie directly back to a keyword or keyword phrase. Since keywords are topics, they are also prevalent when creating offers and emails.
- Keywords help visitors and potential customers understand the purpose of your page. When reading the content of the page, a visitor will often scan for the keywords they searched for.
- Keywords help search engines understand the purpose of your page. When a search engine crawls your website pages to index them it will parse the keywords on the page to determine the purpose of your pages.
You Want Traffic
Keywords are very important for every business website as they drive targeted web traffic to your business for free. When done well, using the right keywords can skyrocket your business to sales success online.
Some keywords get hundreds of thousands of unique searches a day while others get a couple of hundred.
At the same time, some high trafficked keywords are very competitive online because many businesses are trying to get referrals and traffic from users when they search for those keywords while others are not. In choosing a keyword for your business, it is very important to put some time and thought into researching keywords. There are some good free tools online such as the Google Keyword Research tool and Jaaxy that can help get you started in researching keywords relevant to your business.
These tools can be very useful for getting insights about how many users are searching for a given keyword and how much competition there is for the keyword online. This can also give you a realistic sense of what keywords you should be using on your website and how effective they will be in marketing your site online. Once you have researched keywords for your business, you can develop a simple plan of action for implementing those keywords on your site.
Search Engine Optimization
It would then make sense to create pages on your website targeting those keywords by providing relevant information to online searchers about what they are looking for.
Some businesses choose to include keywords relevant to their business site domain name. This strategy works as well as long as it is inline with the brand identity you have for your website.
Putting some thought into target keywords for your website is an investment worth making. With the free tools and resources available online, it will be easy for you to get started on thinking about ways to use targeted keywords to get qualified leads to your website’s pages.
Tips & Advice
- Never try to mislead or trick humans or Google spiders. It doesn’t work anymore… search engines have evolved… =)
- Keywords should help you identify and speak the language of your target markets
- Improve SERP rank by helping Google more specifically understand page content
- Drive more qualified traffic to appropriate web pages
- Keywords will increase time on site by directing more qualified traffic to Web pages
- Keywords will also increase conversions by helping consumers find you rather than your competitors
- Keywords can help you get your content in front of the right people at the right time
How Can You Find The Best Keywords For Your Website?
When I started building my website, all I heard about was ‘keywords‘ and ‘traffic‘. These two little words were almost driving me crazy and making me scared because, as a newbie, I didn’t know where to look or what to do. But I searched and searched and finally got lucky! Someone wisely advised me to try and use Jaaxy, a free keywords tool.
The great thing about Jaaxy is that it has a free trial that lets you run 30 searches a month. However, as you can imagine, the premium membership gives you far more resources to help you search new niches, usefulness of keywords, new keyword ideas and much, much more. But the free trial is just fine as well to begin with.
What Can Jaaxy Do?
Well, obviously you can use Jaaxy as a free keyword generator. The process is really simple :
- You type keywords in the search bar.
- A whole list of new keyword options appear.
- You then can see the amount of monthly searches, estimated traffic KQI, QSR (competition) and SEO power. The higher the monthly searches the better. You really need to aim for above 50 monthly searches. But you need the lowest QSR possible as well. Under 300 QSR is the target, but I would aim for as low as possible, the closer to zero the better. =)
- You will see these colored circles appear as well : (green, yellow, red). These colored dots indicate the SEO Power and for obvious reasons green means ‘go for it’. Red means there is a much harder chance of getting ranked with the search engines (competition may be high or the keyword is too general). And well yellow… you get the idea!
Give it a Try : it’s FREE!
I use it daily for all of my posts on my two websites, to give my posts a better chance of landing on Google’s first page. With Jaaxy I have even used keywords that I wasn’t even thinking about. It’s like Jaaxy does all the work for you in a matter of seconds.
I also use jaaxy to check my website posts and pages ranking on google. It enables me to see where I am lacking traffic and where I should put more work!
If you have any questions about keyword research or jaaxy, feel free to leave a comment below or to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be more than happy to connect!